Setting Up a GoDaddy Domain Name with GitHub
I wanted to try using GitHub’s Pages feature to host my website. Turns out it was very simple to do, and the best part is it’s free!
Here’s a tutorial for setting up a GoDaddy domain name with this feature.
Step 1: Register for a domain name
Go to http://www.godaddy.com/ and purchase a domain name (e.g. mycowsworld.com)
This reserves a name that people will use to access your website. Now you’ll need a place to store the files for your website.
Step 2: Create a GitHub account
Go to https://github.com and sign up for an account.
Step 3: Create a GitHub repository
Follow the instructions here (scroll down). This creates a repository where you will store your website files.
Step 4: Link your domain name to the GitHub repository
Follow the instructions here to connect your domain name (e.g. www.mycowsworld.com) to the GitHub repository.
Step 5: Configure DNS settings on GoDaddy
- Log in to GoDaddy.com
- Click My Account at the top of the screen
- In the DOMAINS pane, expand the section (click the + button) and click Manage for the desired domain name.
- Under the Settings tab -> Nameservers, click Manage
- Ensure that the Setup Type is set to Standard and save the changes. If you do make changes, note that it may take some time for the changes to propagate.
- Under the DNS Zone File tab, click Add Record
- Select the CNAME Record Type
- Under Host, enter in your www
- Under Points to, enter in the URL of the GitHub repository (e.g. username.github.io)
- Click Finish
See this page for more information.
It will take some time for the changes to get pushed out, but once that happens, www.URL.com should take you to your GitHub page.
Step 6: Redirect URL.com to www.URL.com
- Back in the GoDaddy page under the Settings tab -> Forwarding, click Manage under Domain.
- Click Add Domain Forwarding
- Under Forward To, set it to the desired webpage (e.g. http://www.mycowsworld.com)
- Under Redirect Type, set it to 301 Permanent
- Under Forward Settings, select Forward Only
- Check the Update my nameservers and DNS Settings to support this change
- Click Add